As a discipline, rock physics establishes a relationship between the seismic signal and the petrophysical properties in the subsurface. Through this connection, we seek to “extract” information about the petrophysical and geometrical properties, which give rise to the recorded and observed seismic signal. We then use this information to describe the character of the reservoir in three dimensions away from well control, and with this, answer the questions posed above.
Rock physics requires a knowledge and understanding of geophysics, petrophysics, geomechanics and the causes of the distribution of fluids in the subsurface. Competences in well log analysis, core measurement and analysis, elasticity theory, wave propagation and energy partitioning, signal analysis and seismic processing, and seismic geomorphology are all essential tools for the rock physicist.
Rock physics modelling is required to:
- understand from seismic and well data if there are extensions to existing accumulations or indeed undiscovered ones
- resolve seal integrity issues
- place wells optimally within the best quality reservoir rock or oil leg below gas
- anticipate drilling hazards
In LR Senergy, we combine all these tools to perform a thorough rock physics analysis to determine the petrophysical parameters that control the reservoir quality, defining a strategy that allows the extraction of these parameters from seismic data.
Where grid mapping and geostatistical methods fail to describe the inter-well character of the subsurface, rock physics combined with seismic characterisation techniques is the best quantitative tool we have at our disposal to reduce uncertainty and unlock the commercial potential of our assets.
Our Rock Physics Capabilities include:
- Multi-well, multi-mineral, multi-fluid petrophysical evaluation for Rock Physics
- Resolution Analysis
- Fluid Substitution and Seismic Modelling
- Shear wave velocity prediction
- Crossplot Analysis for lithology/ fluid identification
- 1D synthetic seismic modelling for Velocity Modelling and Depth Conversion
- 2D Synthetic Modelling for AVO/Inversion
- Simultaneous AVO/AVA inversion
- Seismic trace shape modelling and seismic facies analysis
- Pore Pressure Analysis
- Fracture Detection
- Rock Physics Based Seismic Pre-Conditioning for AVO/AVA/Inversion
- 4D Synthetic Modelling and Inversion
For more information please contact Steve Spencer, Principal Geophysicist Steve.Spencer@lr-senergy.com